KALYS KONJAC FLOURS
KALYS KONJAC FLOURS are plant-based ingredients that contain up to 95% of a remarkable soluble fiber: glucomannan.
KALYS KONJAC FLOURS provide dietary fiber and both a cheap and a low-calorie replacement solution for other ingredients such as galactomannans (Locust Bean Gum – LBG, Tara Gum, Guar gum) and/or digestible carbs (starches and glucose syrup).
KALYS KONJAC FLOURS can be used:
- for technologic purposes: to thicken or set your food preparations (with low dosage and no temperature constraints).
- for nutritional purposes: to incorporate soluble dietary fiber into your recipes while lowering their caloric intake and glycaemic response.
- for health purposes: 2 health claims are permitted for glucomannan: slimming and cholesterol management.
- 20 or 25 KG Bags
- Conventional grades not permitted in Organic Food formulation.
- Organic grades
- Kosher (plant product)
- Halal (plant product)
Solubility of KALYS KONJAC FLOURS
KALYS KONJAC FLOURS have an exceptionally high-water retention capacity. They are cold soluble and can be dissolved over a wide range of temperatures. The characteristics of the solutions or gels obtained using KALYS KONJAC FLOURS vary with the type and concentration of KONJAC FLOUR, the formulation pH and synergies with other ingredients.
Thickening properties of KALYS KONJAC FLOURS
KALYS KONJAC FLOURS can be used alone and at low concentration to increase viscosity of liquid preparations. As a thickener, they are a cheaper and/or less calorific substitute than galactomannans (Locust Bean Gum, Tara gum and Guar gum) or digestible carbohydrates (starches or glucose syrup).
Gelling properties of KALYS KONJAC FLOURS
KALYS KONJAC FLOURS yield at higher concentrations translucid gels that are cohesive and reversible under mechanical stress. In alkaline solutions, KALYS KONJAC FLOURS form thermo-irreversible gels.
KALYS KONJAC FLOURS’ Synergies
Depending on their characteristics, KALYS KONJAC FLOURS show synergistic properties with other ingredients (xanthan gum, agar, carrageenan, gellan gum, starches...). These properties can be tuned to your specific needs (rheology, texture, gel strength, cohesion, stability...) while reducing the cost of your recipes.
KALYS KONJAC FLOURS contain up to 95% glucomannan: a remarkable soluble Dietary Fiber.
Health benefits of KALYS KONJAC FLOURS
Konjac Glucomannan provides a feeling of fullness which helps to reduce cravings and snacking between meals. It also helps to reduce portions sizes and improve the caloric value of meals. When hydrated in the stomach, glucomannan forms a viscous gel that slows down gastric emptying and reduces the sensation of hunger.
Unlike digestible carbohydrates, Glucomannan is a low calories ingredient that does not trigger glycaemic peak because it is not hydrolysed by digestive enzymes. As a soluble dietary fiber, its fermentation in our colon stimulates the diversification and growth of our intestinal microbiota.
Nutritional benefits of KALYS KONJAC FLOURS
By using KALYS KONJAC FLOURS, you can increase the fiber and water content of your formulations, while reducing their sugar and/or fat content.
Due to the complex structure konjac glucomannan, its fermentation is slower and therefore better tolerated than other frequently used soluble fibers (e.g., inulin, fructo-oligosaccharides, galacto-oligosaccharides).
Glucomannan health claims
In the European Union, two health claims are permitted since 2012 (REG 432/2012) for foods and food supplements containing konjac glucomannan:
- “Glucomannan contributes to the maintenance of normal blood cholesterol levels”.
- ” In the context of an energy restricted diet, Glucomannan contributes to weight loss”.
Other Health claims related to dietary fiber and carbohydrates also apply to Konjac Glucomannan.
Glucomannan Nutritional claims
Depending on how you use KALYS KONJAC FLOURS, many nutritional claims can be made:
- « Rich in fiber », « Source of fiber », « Enriched in fiber»,
- « Contains the soluble dietary fiber Glucomannan», « Contains glucomannan »,
- « Low energy Food », « Reduced energy food »,
- « Low in sugars », « Light », « reduced in digestible carbs/sugars (by their replacement by Glucomannan) »,
- « Low fat », « reduced in fat (by their replacement by Glucomannan) ».
KALYS KONJAC FLOURS in healthy food formulation
Thanks to glucomannan’s health properties, KALYS KONJAC FLOURS help establish low Glycaemic Index diets and formulate low calorie foods. Glucomannan is particularly recommended in:
- all kinds of food supplements: capsules, instant beverages, milkshakes and smoothies.
- biscuits, specialty baked products and nutrition bars.
KALYS KONJAC FLOURS for Nutritional applications
Nutritional properties of KALYS KONJAC FLOURS permit product formulations with:
- Stronger and longer lasting feeling of fullness,
- Reduced Glycaemic Index,
- Improved Nutri-score by reducing calories and increasing fiber content.
KALYS KONJAC FLOURS as a source of texture
KALYS’ diversified portfolio of KONJAC FLOURS can be used:
- To thicken sauces, creams and dressings, with or in place of Galactomannans (Tara gum, Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Cassia Gum),
- To make gelled foods,
- To texture Meat and Fish analogues,
- To Formulate Clean-Label recipes by replacing additives (thickening and gelling agents) by dietary fibers and/or by using the gelling properties of konjac flours.
Origin and quality
KALYS KONJAC FLOURS have various selected origins and are processed from the tubers of Amorphophallus konjac and other edible “konjac” species.
KALYS PRODUCTIONS offers an extensive range of customized KONJAC FLOURS whose quality is controlled and standardized for more than thirty specification lines (viscosity, particle size, purity, organoleptic profile, certifications, presence of allergens...).
This unique range covers bespoke economically adapted solutions for your applications.
KALYS KONJAC FLOURS can be used in Clean-Label recipes.
KALYS KONJAC FLOURS that are certified organic, can be used as ingredients in Organic applications.
For technical purposes (texture), KALYS KONJAC FLOURS are considered additives and respect EU Regulations (E425i et E425ii) and Codex Alimentarius specifications (INS425).
Plant extracts obtained from Amorphophallus are regulated for their use in foods and food supplements.
Depending on geographic location, regulatory aspects of food/feed/supplement use of KALYS KONJAC FLOURS vary and depend on powder characteristics and application targeted.
Contact us for more detailed advice.