Solubility of ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR
KALYS ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR has an exceptionally high-water retention capacity. It is cold soluble and can be dissolved over a wide range of temperatures (0-100°C). The characteristics of the solutions or gels obtained using ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR vary with the concentration of ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR (0,1 to 1,2%), the formulation pH and synergies with other ingredients.
Thickening properties of ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR
ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR can be used alone at low concentration (0,1-0,5%) to increase viscosity of liquid preparations.
It is a thickening agent that yields less calories than digestible carbs (starches or glucose syrup). It also shows a cheaper cost-in-use than other thickeners (Locust Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Tara Gum).
Gelling properties of KALYS ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR
At higher concentrations (0,8 à 1,2 %), ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR forms translucid gels that are cohesive and reversible under mechanical stress. In alkaline solutions at around 3,5%, ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR form thermo-irreversible gels.
KALYS KONJAC FLOURS’ Synergies
ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR shows synergistic properties with other ingredients (Xanthan gum, agar, carrageenan, gellan gum, starches...). These properties can be tuned to your specific needs (rheology, texture, gel strength, cohesion, stability...) while reducing the cost of your recipes.
ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR contain close to 95% glucomannan: a remarkable soluble Dietary Fiber.
Health benefits of ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR
Konjac Glucomannan provides a feeling of fullness which helps to reduce cravings and snacking between meals. It also helps to reduce portions size and improves the caloric value of meals. When hydrated in the stomach, Glucomannan forms a viscous gel that slows down gastric emptying and reduces the sensation of hunger.
Unlike digestible carbohydrates, Glucomannan is a low calories ingredient that does not trigger glycaemic peak because it is not hydrolysed by digestive enzymes. As a soluble dietary fiber, its fermentation in our colon stimulates the diversification and growth of our gut microbiota.
Nutritional benefits of ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR
By using ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR, you can increase the fiber and water content of your formulations, while reducing their sugar and/or fat contents.
Due to the complex structure konjac glucomannan, its fermentation is slower and thus better tolerated than other frequently used soluble fibers (e.g., inulin, fructo-oligosaccharides, galacto-oligosaccharides).
Glucomannan health claims
In the European Union, two health claims are permitted since 2012 (REG 432/2012) for food and food supplements containing konjac glucomannan:
- “Glucomannan contributes to the maintenance of normal blood cholesterol levels”.
“In the context of an energy restricted diet, glucomannan contributes to weight loss”.
Other Health claims related to Dietary Fiber and carbohydrates also apply to konjac Glucomannan
Glucomannan Nutritional claims
Depending on how you use ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR, many nutritional claims can be made:
- « Rich in fiber », « Source of fiber », « Enriched in fiber»,
- « Contains the soluble dietary fiber Glucomannan», « Contains glucomannan »,
- « Low energy Food », « Reduced energy food »,
- « Low in sugars », « Light », « reduced in digestible carbs/sugars (by their replacement by Glucomannan) »,
- « Low fat », « reduced in fat (by their replacement by Glucomannan) ».
ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR as a source of texture
ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR can be used:
- To thicken sauces, creams and dressings, with or in place of other gums (Tara gum, Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Cassia Gum),
- To make gelled foods such as fruit preparations, toppings, macaroon fillings,
- To texture Meat and Fish analogues, dairy products, or meat products.
KONJAC FLOURS for Nutritional applications
Nutritional properties of ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR permit product formulations with:
- Stronger and longer lasting feeling of fullness,
Reduced caloric content,
Lower Glycaemic Index,
Increased fiber content.
KONJAC FLOURS in healthy food formulation
Thanks to the health benefits of glucomannan, our ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR is a particularly suitable ingredient to reinforce the satiety effect of products designed for hypoglycaemic and low-calorie diets (special baked goods, nutrition bars, beverages...).
Origin and quality
ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR comes as a white odourless powder with neutral taste. The powder is processed from the tubers of Amorphophallus konjac.
KALYS PRODUCTIONS chose this ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR based on several dozen specification lines (viscosity, particle size, purity, organoleptic profile, certifications, presence of allergens...).
- ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR is certified organic.
- It can be used as a simple food ingredient when used in Organic foods and/or in clean-Label, vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free formulations.
- When used for technical purposes in conventional recipes (texture), ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR is considered an additive and respects EU Regulations (E425i et E425ii) and Codex Alimentarius specifications (INS425).
Contact us for more detailed advice.
Conseils d’utilisation :
Dosage: 0,1 to 1,2%.
- At room temperature mix the ORGANIC KONJAC FLOUR with other dry ingredients and then disperse the mixture into the liquid phase. If necessary, the preparation can be homogenized with a blender.
- Leave to rest to obtain the final preparation’s texture.